Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video
How Dangerous are Weather Checked Tires? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 02-27-2004, 06:30 PM
Wallhanger

Default How Dangerous are Weather Checked Tires?

[b]I'm going to bet you that I have not put 100 miles on the trailer that hauls my Grady White charter boat around since I bought the boat 7 years ago. At that time, I had all 4 tires along with the wheel bearings replaced with brand new ones. But last spring when I brought it home for the boats spring cleaning and set-up, I noticed the tires were severly weather checked.

The tire tread is like brand new, but the side walls had more deep cracks than My 89 year old Grandpa's face before he passed away. Is this a serious problem that I should be concerned with? Somebody told me to first silicone and then put some black shoe polish on them, to put some moisture back in the rubber to stop the weather checking. Should I trust these tires, even though they are not put to any prolonged highway use?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2004, 06:35 PM
Charter Member

Default RE: How Dangerous are Weather Checked Tires?

NO.

They are cracked and thats that. Happens all the time with tires that are stored out in the sun. The UV rays destroy the rubber. No snake oil will bring them back.

And I bet you see more cracks in the rubber between the treads too if you look closley.

Sorry
Old 02-27-2004, 06:38 PM
lugs

Walleye Express sounds like you are going to have to Wallet Express over to the tire shop and get some new tread! I think a lot of trailer tires get that, its just ugly but I dont think its bad, not for sure however.
Old 02-27-2004, 07:30 PM
Charter Member

Dan since you only have about 100 miles on them now. What is your intention for the trailer. If your only going to transport the boat a few miles and drop it I THINK you'd be OK. I wouldn't run 70 mph. We see alot trailers come in the shop that I wouldn't take the tires around the block. Use caution and you'll probably get a few more out of them. But have a plan B in place incase. Good Luck
Old 02-27-2004, 08:55 PM
Wallhanger

>Dan since you only have about 100 miles on them now. What is
>your intention for the trailer. If your only going to
>transport the boat a few miles and drop it I THINK you'd be
>OK. I wouldn't run 70 mph. We see alot trailers come in the
>shop that I wouldn't take the tires around the block. Use
>caution and you'll probably get a few more out of them. But
>have a plan B in place incase. Good Luck

[b]Airwave.

Basically the trailer is used by me, to just bring the boat home to my house in the spring to get it ready, about 12 miles one-way. When I bring it back to the marina, they launch and moore it at my slip. They then store the trailer itself till fall, use it to pull the boat, winterize the boat and it sits on the trailer all winter in storage in one of their pole barns, until the whole thing starts over again the next spring.

The marina guys are the ones encouraging me to get new tires. They are starting to worry about them in the launching/recovery process, so they say.
Old 02-28-2004, 02:51 AM
Charter Member

Like Perchjerker said, they are done! If one blows, it throws all the weight on the other, maybe causing it to blow too. How much is it gonna cost you to get your rig off the road then? Bite the bullet and on www.tirerack.com, they have some great prices on the Goodyears. Again quoting Perchjerker, it's the sun and UV rays doing your tires in. Either get covers for them like you see on RV's or if possible, block the trailer up and store the tires inside. I just replaced my tires which were 7 years old but always stored inside. They still looked great, no cracking, but I was doing a 2000 mile round trip and didn't want any trouble on the road. Of course another alternative which wouldn't be recommended for normal trailering, would be to put used car or light truck tires on it. I think I'd be comfortable with them for a 12 mile, low speed, round trip each year. You could probably almost find a tire shop to put some take offs on the trailer for the price of mounting them. I did that once with a camper I bought to use as a permanent hunting camp.
Old 02-28-2004, 04:39 AM
Wallhanger

Dan I would personaly not trust any tires that are in that kind of condition. There is nothing worse than wrecking a boat over a 200 dollar set of tires. Your deductable is more than that I'm sure!! But then again you aren't putting a lot of miles on so if you take it easy and use your head, you might not have anything to worry about!
Old 02-28-2004, 06:09 AM
Wallhanger

>Dan I would personaly not trust any tires that are in that
>kind of condition. There is nothing worse than wrecking a
>boat over a 200 dollar set of tires. Your deductable is more
>than that I'm sure!! But then again you aren't putting a lot
>of miles on so if you take it easy and use your head, you
>might not have anything to worry about!

[b[Gonna call them Monday and have them put new tires on the spring work order. They gotta put the boat in the cradle lift to put new bottom paint on the boat anyways. Good time to run the trailer down and have it done. Do you guys think something as simple as a rug draped over the tires when the trailer is being stored, would block the harmful UV rays enough from the sun? I know they store all the trailers outside somewhere for the summer season. I'd find out where and cover them up myself.
Old 02-28-2004, 06:12 AM
Wallhanger

[b]Gonna call them Monday and have them put new tires on the spring work order. They gotta put the boat in the cradle lift to put new bottom paint on the boat anyways. Good time to run the trailer down and have it done. Do you guys think something as simple as a rug draped over the tires when the trailer is being stored, would block the harmful UV rays enough from the sun? I know they store all the trailers outside somewhere for the summer season. I'd find out where and cover them up myself.
Old 02-28-2004, 06:23 AM
Charter Member

Yea, anything to block the uv rays.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Walleye Message Central forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.