Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Boat registration in Wisconsin - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 04-23-2017, 07:18 PM
Keeper

Wisconsin does not require boat trailers to be licensed. I never have licensed any boat trailer that I have ever owned, and I have owned over 15 boat/trailers in my lifetime so far. In addition, I have never ever seen a licensed Wisconsin boat trailer. Don't worry about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2017, 07:45 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUKSHOT View Post
Wisconsin does not require boat trailers to be licensed. I never have licensed any boat trailer that I have ever owned, and I have owned over 15 boat/trailers in my lifetime so far. In addition, I have never ever seen a licensed Wisconsin boat trailer. Don't worry about it.
See the link I posted. Wisconsin does require a license on a trailer over 3,000 pounds. And if you search these forums you'll find a number of discussions about it. You also can look at the Wisconsin State Statutes - https://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/doc...es/341.05(13m)

And if you ever get ticketed, ignorance isn't a legal excuse...

Last edited by thawk9455; 05-29-2017 at 02:35 PM.
Old 04-23-2017, 08:05 PM
Keeper

Did anyone in this group use the online "Go Wild" system to register their new boat? If so, how did it go? Any issues? Did you have to send in paperwork after it was completed?
Old 04-23-2017, 08:40 PM
Wallhanger

Wisconsin does not aggressively go after people for not having boat trailer plates. That does not mean it is not required over the mentioned 3000 lbs. if you never drive out of state maybe you can get away with it. If you dive though friendly Illinois with a duel axle trailer without plates you could be in trouble. That close to Wisconsin I am sure they're are some law enforcement that know Wisconsin requires plates above 3000 lbs. Trailer brakes are now required above 3000 lbs. I sure there are older trailers and boats being pulled around without brakes over 3000. That does not make it legal even though with a single axle you have a low chance of being caught, My idea is do not give anybody an excuse to pull me over.
Old 04-24-2017, 04:37 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishs View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhawg6622 View Post
Picked up my new alumacraft at lacannes on 4/8 and title, numbers and registration are on the boat as of 4/18
So what date did you or your dealer send your registration into the DNR?

I did it myself on the 8th.....piece a cake
Old 04-25-2017, 11:11 AM
Hat Trick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUKSHOT View Post
Pretty sure...yes. I have never seen a canoe, kayak or paddle boat with numbers on it.
You will here. Good lord, registering the kids floaties isn't far off.