Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Roller Trailer, What's the secret? - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Trailers and Tow Vehicles

Old 05-23-2017, 09:28 AM
Wallhanger

Seems like it's a lot to do with the boat/trailer combo and the sweet spot. I had an old Crestliner Viking on a shorelandr trailer, that boat had high sides and a pretty deep V, and wanted the tops of the fenders just submerged.

Current boat is a pro-v, also a shorelandr trailer, and that boat wants the trailer in until the front step on the fender gets wet, and no more.

Another trick is to look at the placement of the back set of rollers. My Pro-V loaded cranky until I moved the rollers further out. (yah, I know, seems counter-intuitive, but it helped). A different Lund dealer told me that everybody thinks the keel will center better if they're close together. Separating them tends to settle the boat a little lower on the trailer and put more of the boat between the rollers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2017, 07:01 AM
Charter Member

Default X 2

Another trick is to look at the placement of the back set of rollers. My Pro-V loaded cranky until I moved the rollers further out. (yah, I know, seems counter-intuitive, but it helped). A different Lund dealer told me that everybody thinks the keel will center better if they're close together. Separating them tends to settle the boat a little lower on the trailer and put more of the boat between the rollers.[/QUOTE]

Excellent advice.
Old 06-21-2017, 03:18 PM
Wallhanger

Default Roller Trailer

I have a Shorelander XR roller trailer, I took of the Side Boards that were way too wide and purchased two BullsEye load guides and boat loads straight now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_1b6f.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	263682   Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_1b64.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	263690  

Last edited by fshrman-r72; 06-21-2017 at 03:23 PM.
Old 06-23-2017, 11:19 AM
Wallhanger

There are many factors that can effect your loading and most have already mentioned them. The important ones are in order:

1. Level launch pad

2. Not too deep in the water or the boat floats all over the place by the time you pull it out.

AND # 3 that nobody has mentioned is - Is the boat pretty close to even weight distribution on the Port Side compared to the Starboard Side of the vessel, especially near the transom.

A full livewell on one side can add over 200 lbs to that side........but their are other things like batteries, oil tank and so forth.........this side will be heavier when you load it and will go to the middle of the trailer more, making the lighter side of your boat higher on the trailer once you get it out of the water.

Hope this helps you figure it out. Let us know if it improves for you.

Bob
Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit networked to a LMS 520c
Lowrance Engine Interface cable
Minn Kota Power Drive V2 US2 now with i-Pilot
Custom designed and built rod holders
Custom designed and built down rigger platforms
All towed with my Trusty G2 '07 Toyota Tundra
Old 06-23-2017, 12:42 PM
Charter Member

In addition to Bobby's comments and actually similar to what he said.

If you drive or float your boat on the trailer, keep the boat level by moving your self to what ever part of the boat that is necessary to level the boat.

I have seen some really big dudes remain in their driver seat when driving a boat on the trailer that is listing badly due to the weight on the starboard side of the boat.

Then, those same folks wonder why the trailer always loads to one side of the trailer.

Move yourself so that the boat is level as it goes onto the trailer and you will be doing a better job of having a level centered boat on the trailer when done.

Good luck
Old 06-24-2017, 06:50 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by fshrman-r72 View Post
I have a Shorelander XR roller trailer, I took of the Side Boards that were way too wide and purchased two BullsEye load guides and boat loads straight now.
I installed four of them on my trailer. Wind, crosscurrent or uneven boat ramps are no problem now.
Old 07-04-2017, 05:30 PM
Keeper

Found the secret, Back rollers barely in the water, No problems since