Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Do you fish Lakers - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 03-08-2013, 05:21 PM
Wallhanger

Default Do you fish Lakers

I enjoy taking some time during the mid day to chase Lakers. How many of you have and, take the opportunity to do likewise. If so, what are your tactics and how have you fared?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2013, 09:01 PM
Wallhanger

I love fishing for lakers. My trips to NW Ontario - usually two week long trips per year - are usually not on a trout lake, but I always spend a minimum of one full day on a nearby lake with lakers. Sometimes I'll also quit the walleye hunt early and haul my boat 8 or 10 miles to spend a long evening chasing trout. From opening day through the first two weeks of June, 95% of the fishing is long lining silver/black or silver/blue baits such as Rapala CDs and Husky Jerks, silver or pearl Flat Fish, or various colors of Canadian Wigglers. Later in the summer it's mostly jigging with 4" white tubes, 1 oz. white/blue bucktail jigs, large blade baits, or blue/silver Little Cleos (V-Bay Gord's favorite laker lure!).

I know the traditional trolling spoon of choice for many is the Sutton spoon, but it just doesn't work for me. I have had some success trolling silver/prism Crocodile spoons.

I'd feel a week in NWO would be incomplete without at least one full day of lake trout fishing.
Old 03-09-2013, 10:32 AM
Slot Fish

This past summer was the first time I had spent serious time fishing for lakers. We had a blast! Catching these monsters in 65-70 feet in the middle of a lake with the wind howling! I used a Med-Heavy action spinning rod that I use for Smallmouth and had some difficulty setting the hook with that set up, lost a few I'm sure because of this. This year I'm taking up a heavy action rod with some low stretch line. Much like Muskies Lakers have a very bony mouth that is difficult to put a hook into.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2013, 12:18 PM
Wallhanger

Most of my laker fishing is in the winter, but the times I have gone during open water I've used a three-way setup with 4-5oz. of weights. A spoon of some sort (Williams Wabler or Lucky Strike Half Wave) or a floating Rapala minnow worked just fine.
Old 03-09-2013, 02:46 PM
Keeper

We fish for them every year on Sturgeon. I used to always down rig them with a shad rap but once we started jigging with a 1 ounce jig and a big minnow , there is no comparison. On Walleye tackle they are the best fighting fish that you will encounter in fresh water !!! A Smallie on steroids
Old 03-09-2013, 03:19 PM
Keeper

i am going to be on lotw in late june would love to fish lakers if anyone has some info on what part of the lake i should be on.. you can pm me if you want to share any info.. i have fished lakers in northern sask.. for many yrs.. lac la ronge area .. but will be fishing lotw from now on so hole new ball game for me... Ron