Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Reel recommendations for casting crankbaits - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 01-26-2003, 02:12 PM
Charter Member

Default Reel recommendations for casting crankbaits

No doubt, individual choices for reels to cast crankbaits are similar to "beauty is in the eye of the beholder".

I presently use a Shimano Curado 200B spooled with 10 lb mono to perform this task. Even though I have read and re-read the instructions for the use of this reel as well as advice from this board and others about setting the rod and reel up for each crankbait used, I have still experienced problems (e.g. either short casts or birds nests (yes, I am thumbing the spool)). These are no doubt a measure of my inexperience. I may just require more practice or maybe there's a more forgiving reel out there that isn't cost prohibitive. I would appreciate any advice. Jay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2003, 04:35 PM
Charter Member

Default RE: Reel recommendations for casting crankbaits

You have a good reel. I would suggest you check the setting for how fast you want the line to come out.This should be checked anytime you switch crankbaits. Also, don't try to overpower the cast. A nice steady cast is what you want. Don't rear back and really let her go!
To check the free spool I put on the crankbait,than depress the thumb bar releasing the spool. You want to give the rod a little bounce and the bait will come down about 10''. If it goes to the ground, tighten the knob, if it doesn't move loosen the knob.This is how I was taught i'm sure if it's not right someone will jump in to say so!

If you get through a full summer with NO backlashes call me!!! I'd love to know what to do. LOL
Backlashes are a part of casting,as they SAY"just keep chuckin' them baits".

Good luck hope this helps!
dutchboy

Old 01-26-2003, 08:48 PM
Charter Member

dutchboy:

Thanks for responding. I have been using the method that you described to set the reel for each crankbait. Perhaps, I have been casting with too much force - thanks for the advice. Soon as the snow disappears, I'll get out to the park and do some testing - I'd like to feel more comfortable before I get back on the water. Thanks again. Jay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2003, 09:43 AM
Charter Member

Jay,
For what it's worth I can't cast overhand, it seems I have no control or accuracy. I've found that 3/4 or sidearm casts work better for me.

Keep playin' with it and you will find what works best for you.
dutchboy

Old 01-27-2003, 10:40 AM
Ric

Have you played with the weights on the inside of the reel? If not, this would make a huge difference.
Old 01-27-2003, 11:08 AM
Slot Fish

Well, you may have just cured most of my problems with a casting reel!

I've used spinning rods all my life, but last summer bought into an Abu-Garcia Ambassedeur rig. After about 20 ratsnests in about 150 casts, I finally went back to the spinning setups. I bet anything that lots of those ratsnests were caused by casting too hard (there's no such thing with a spinning reel, IMHO ;))

Thanks for stating what is probably common knowlege for most board readers! Sometimes it's the simple things that make all the difference. :D

- Rick
Old 01-27-2003, 11:37 AM
Charter Member

For dutchboy:

My experience is identical to yours re casting overhand.

For Ric:

Yes, I have tried various adjustments to the so-called Variable brake System (there are 6 brake weights on this reel). Presently, all brake weights are in the off position - I found this necessary to achieve reasonable casting distances (my expectations are for 60-80 feet). The friction cast control is adjusted for each crankbait.

I purchased this reel in the later half of last season and have had only 5 days on the water with it. Consequently, I'm still on the learning curve. I'm hopeful that advice received can speed up the process. Thanks to you both. Jay
Old 01-27-2003, 12:09 PM
Ric

What size crankbaits do you typically use, and what type of rod? I have several Curado's, and what I have found is that for most crankbaits, two of the weights in the "on" position seems to work best. I am typically throwing husky jerks and shad raps, and have no trouble casting 60-80ft. So, at this pt. I would speculate that you may be using too stiff of a rod (I use a CBR 845).

Some other tips that may help are increasing the diameter of your line until you get more accustomed to the baitcaster, as well as applying Reel Magic or similar type product to your line.
Old 01-27-2003, 02:35 PM
Charter Member

Ric:

I have the Curado 200B spooled with 10 lb Trilene XL mounted on a Bob Izumi Signature Series Shimano baitcasting rod (IZC70M) that is recommended for line weights 10-20 lbs and lure weights of 3/16 to 3/4 oz. The crankbaits I presently have (Rip Sticks, Reef Runners, Wally Divers, Wally Minnows, Rattlin' Thin Fins, jointed Rapalas, Tail Dancers, Shad Raps and Husky Jerks) vary in weight from 3/16 to 5/8 oz. I'll have to look for some Reel Magic. Thanks. Jay
Old 01-27-2003, 02:35 PM
Jim O

Lots of good advice. I would add that the wind resistance of given baits as well as throwing into the wind, even a slight one, can cause some fits as you start using level winds.
Take care,
Jim O