Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Suggestions on personal coolers - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 04-27-2017, 05:34 AM
Wallhanger

Default Suggestions on personal coolers

Need advice or experiences on personal sized coolers. The cooler our group uses in the boat to hold soda and sandwiches is getting old and pretty beat up.
Not talking about a cooler to hold fish in - just beverages and such.
Would like the cooler to have a smaller "foot print" so as to be taller rather than wide. Take up less space in the boat.
I use several blue ices in this cooler so as to help keep things dry.
I've seen some of the soft sided coolers in stores and I'm not a fan to be honest with you.
Prefer hard sided construction.
Any suggestions on makes & models would be appreciated. Want to start shopping now for this item and buy when on sale.
Thanks
Garmin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2017, 05:40 AM
Wallhanger

If you can live with the extra weight, the Pelican Elite is the best you can get. And the 20 qt is tall and narrow.
These are not cheap but still considerably less expensive that it's direct competitor, the Yeti. Actually, the Pelican out performs the Yeti in long term ice maintenance. Check out U-Tube for more info.

It will be the best and last cooler you ever need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by btyreprich View Post
Need advice or experiences on personal sized coolers. The cooler our group uses in the boat to hold soda and sandwiches is getting old and pretty beat up.
Not talking about a cooler to hold fish in - just beverages and such.
Would like the cooler to have a smaller "foot print" so as to be taller rather than wide. Take up less space in the boat.
I use several blue ices in this cooler so as to help keep things dry.
I've seen some of the soft sided coolers in stores and I'm not a fan to be honest with you.
Prefer hard sided construction.
Any suggestions on makes & models would be appreciated. Want to start shopping now for this item and buy when on sale.
Thanks
HB 1199 CI HD Si (Helm)
Helix 10 GPS (Dash)
Evinrude 15HO Kicker (Tiller)

Old 04-27-2017, 06:48 AM
Charter Member

Happy enough with a Coleman like this.

https://www.google.com/search?q=cole...oHdjM:&spf=159
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2017, 07:01 AM
Keeper

I went with these and I'm extremely happy. 2-Check on lead time if your in a big hurry.

Downside with the larger ones is by the time you get what you want in them you can hardly carry the darn thing.

https://www.rticcoolers.com/shop/coolers
Old 04-27-2017, 07:01 AM
Keeper

Menards has ORCA coolers on blowout sale, but it is only on stuff in stock in specific stores.

I bought the 58qt for $203. It is normally $399 and holds ice better than a YETI in all tests. American made too. Holds ice for 7 days. We are using it in the boat for whatever we need on the lake, then we will use it to bring fish home.

Some things to think about with the expense of a good cooler that will save you in the long run.
You dont have to purchase ice every day
No dry ice needed to drive home with your catch
They are lockable and very durable

https://www.menards.com/main/search.html?search=orca
Old 04-27-2017, 07:06 AM
Wallhanger

Consider either of these brands. I have both in addition to Yeti and these are quality coolers. I wanted a soft cooler that would fit inside one of the storage compartments in my boat so I got a polar bear.

https://www.rticcoolers.com/shop/coolers

http://www.polarbearcoolers.com/
Old 04-27-2017, 07:09 AM
Keeper

Right now you cannot buy RTIC hard coolers. They were sued by YETI and had to stop manufacturing. They are supposed to have new designs coming soon though.
Old 04-27-2017, 07:24 AM
Keeper

I know what you are saying about the soft sides but I bought a Yeti Hopper and it changed my mind. I now have all 3 sizes. They don't leak, they are very durable, and I like the shoulder strap for carrying. It has a small footprint and will fit in many storage compartments in the boat. I even use it for a carry on when I travel and then I have a cooler for my room or excursions.
Old 04-27-2017, 07:28 AM
Wallhanger

I have an Rtic 20 and a Yeti 35. The 35 goes in the rear area of the boat so it doubles as an extra seat if necessary. I use it for lunch, beverages, etc. The 20 I use for keeping bait cool.
Old 04-27-2017, 07:39 AM
Wallhanger

I use an igloo marine cooler similar to what is attached, don't recall the exact qt size. I measured my Lund's splash well and purchased one that fits down inside taking up no room in the boat. The lid is attached so it will not blow off or be dropped overboard. Loaded with ice, water etc... it's weighted down in the splash well and not once have had an issue with it moving. It's not the class of a yeti, etc... but fits the bill for keeping sandwiches and drinks on a day trip without having to step around it in the boat. Just another option to consider.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Igloo-52-...&wl13=&veh=sem

Last edited by Shotgun; 04-27-2017 at 07:52 AM.