Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
What color grubs to buy getting started? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 04-14-2017, 08:31 AM
Keeper

Default What color grubs to buy getting started?

Ive never really fished for walleye with grubs. It seems that is a popular and productive way to jig and pitch for walleye on inland lakes. What colors should I start out with?

For bass fishing watermelon, green pumpkin and purple seem to cover almost everything. What are the best walleye colors for plastic grubs, or rib worms?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2017, 08:32 AM
Keeper

Also, are these generally fished just off bottom and/or hopped along as you drift and reel?
Old 04-14-2017, 09:13 AM
Wallhanger

Plastic grubs(twister tails) have 2 basic color schemes. Dark and light, then the colors beyond that. To start out with, just make sure you get light and dark. I would go with Chartreuse and crayfish red. But white, yellow, light green, and chartreuse are all good light colors. Black, purple, red, smoke/brown, etc are all good as dark colors.

There are some in-between colors and 2 tones that work well also. Pumkin, Gray, purple with chartreuse tail tips, sparkles. I have a gold sparkly color that works very well in fresh and saltwater(originally got them for salt). They will all work at various times.

To start out with... Chartreuse, white, black, and Dark red.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhndeere506 View Post
Also, are these generally fished just off bottom and/or hopped along as you drift and reel?
Yes

Both.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2017, 09:14 AM
Wallhanger

Bass colors work well on our inland lakes. Also fond of smoke/oyster/whatever you want to call it. White works, silvers called shad or alewife etc., pink, black. Get some minnow and paddle tails, too. Also tubes if the bottom is clean enough.

Straight swimming works on flats, swimming up and down a little over weeds, swimming down drops and hopping fast along edges. On southern lakes I fish weeds and weed edges a lot. Up north the bottom tends to be a little cleaner and rockier so I adjust accordingly. You'll catch lots of bass and pike but I don't have a problem with that.
Old 04-14-2017, 02:31 PM
Wallhanger

All you need is white.
Old 04-14-2017, 03:59 PM
Keeper

If I could only have one plastic it'd be a 4" Gulp Alive Minnow in one of the natural colors... I prefer the Black Shad.

But, as others have pointed out... a light color (Chartreuse would be a universal favorite)... and a dark color (black is a gold standard... but so crawfish type colors)... then I'd add something a bit more natural into the mix.
Old 04-14-2017, 05:09 PM
Charter Member

I prefer Gulp minnow smelt finish. On the other hand, providing you have a large enough boat, several packs of each color named above would get you started. It seems they all work at times, even folks in the same boat/lake find different color favorites which seem to work for them. Part of the fun of fishing is trying different colors/ baits.

Bill
Old 04-15-2017, 10:51 AM
Wallhanger

fishing the walleye run in Maumee ohio I've tried several colors. the one that's my go to color is a white head with a pink tail. this color has been very good to me.
Old 04-15-2017, 05:03 PM
Slot Fish

They are so cheap by 10 different packs in 10 different colors and try them all and see what works for you.
Old 04-15-2017, 05:44 PM
Wallhanger

White, chartreuse, orange, purple, black, smoke.

That's grubs, ringworms, paddletails, etc.