Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Any fiberglass experts out there? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 05-22-2017, 07:50 PM
Wally F

Default Any fiberglass experts out there?

I purchased a " new" boat, found out that 3 holes were drilled through the bottom of the boat by the manufacturer when installing the oil tank, which was hidden under the trailer bunk.

The boat did have a fair amount of water fill the boat during break in before noticing the issue because it was confined to the sealed side compartment before filling and coming out the holes in the battery compartment where the oil tank was removed, because I had a 4 stroke put on.

They want to re- glass/ fix the holes, my ?s are.

Would this be a permanent fix?

With the sealed side compartment filling with water, are there any other issues that in need to worry about? Or be fixed?

What do I look for?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2017, 10:26 PM
Wallhanger

Location: Land of 10,000 lakes, even more taxes and the state where the police are handcuffed.

They absolutely can fix it. However my question to them would be "did I pay for a repaired boat or a NEW boat?" I would not accept a repaired hull. Their mistake, they get to eat it.
Old 05-22-2017, 10:58 PM
Charter Member

Wally,
No big deal.
Fiberglass is repaired all of the time. Little scratches, to little holes to big holes to big rip outs of the glass.

With a good shop and time and money, the fix will be perfect and will be identical to the new hull and you will not be able to tell that there was ever a problem.

---
The key - is a good shop.

I have had work done by, and have seen many other boats that have had glass work done by the same shop and you absolutely can not tell that there was ever any repair work done on the hull. Many of the boats were repaired years ago and you still can not tell that they have been repaired and they certainly have had no structural issues at all from the work done on the hull.

A good shop will work on the outside where the holes were made, but they will also open up the interior so that they have 100% access to both sides of the hull to have a perfect repair.
As a result of the necessary removal of "stuff" to get to the inside of the hull, there are sometimes massive amounts of labor hours that become part of the repair bill. But, this is necessary, if the work is to be done correctly for the long term.

Obviously the folks who drilled the holes in the boat are on the hook to pay the complete and full bill for the best and correct repair on the boat.

I would guess that the repair might run $500-$6,000 depending on what needs to be removed top side to get to the inside of the hull.

The dealer's industrial insurance should pay the bill with no issues at all.

p.s.
Depending on the location and the estimate for the number of man hours to properly repair the issue, the insurance company may decide to scrap the hull and obtain a new hull and have the new hull rerigged with the current complement of equipment and motor.

Good luck

Last edited by REW; 05-22-2017 at 11:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2017, 04:05 AM
Wally F

Mn guy

My thoughts exactly, it's been 2 1/2 weeks with no resolution, spoke with the manufacturer, he stated if I want a new boat I need to take legal action. Just trying to collect ideas and see if I am being unreasonable, if it is an easy/ permanent fix.

Thanks REM
Old 05-23-2017, 04:57 AM
Wallhanger

I think this post warrants revealing who this manufacturer is if they in fact said to seek legal advice on a brand new boat with 3 holes in the bottom of it??
Old 05-23-2017, 07:01 AM
Wallhanger

Location: Land of 10,000 lakes, even more taxes and the state where the police are handcuffed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar View Post
I think this post warrants revealing who this manufacturer is if they in fact said to seek legal advice on a brand new boat with 3 holes in the bottom of it??
Agreed. This doesn't sound right at all. Unless the damage was done at the dealer during rigging I haven't heard of a factory that would have that reaction. There is more to this story I'm afraid.
Old 05-23-2017, 07:30 AM
Wallhanger

If the boat was a NEW pre rigged boat at the factory or rigged at the dealer,it should make no difference. You purchased a new boat with NO defects. I can't imagine the factory or dealer telling you that. Time to consult a lawyer on this issue. Care to name the dealer and boat brand?
Old 05-23-2017, 08:43 AM
Keeper

Expecting a new hull because of a few screw holes would be deemed as unreasonable. Fixed to your satisfaction on a new rig should be expected, and it should happen ASAP.

Would I want a new vessel with repairs that have to happen right out of the gate, of course not. Unfortunately, it is what it is.. FWIW, there is a pretty good percentage of boats that are either repaired at the factory or at the dealer from handling errors, accidents, etc.

You do not specify what a "Fair Amount of Water" is. A couple inches in the bilge, or the battery's and other systems completely submerged? After a repair facility of your choosing fixes your boat, I'd have the mfg pay for a professional survey if you are concerned about either issue.

*** Edit*** FYI, if I was the mfg and a customer called me up and demanded a "New Boat", from a business perspective I'd take the same stance. Now bending over backwards and making sure your are completely satisfied is something totally different ------ and you make no mention if this is the case or not? Either way it does suck that you made a new purchase and are not satisfied. Make sure you update the thread with the final resolution.

Last edited by MadMan; 05-23-2017 at 08:52 AM.
Old 05-23-2017, 02:20 PM
Slot Fish

I guess for the price that most of the glass boats I would be pretty upset. You signed up and paid for a ready to float, sea worthy vessel. My guess is....it came that way from the factory. How else would there be drill holes under the bunk unless your dealer lifted it up off the trailer? I would have the dealer talk to the manufacturer and figure out who is gunna pay for the repairs....sure shouldn't be you. What kind of boat?

NPAA: 1280
2018 Cabela's NTC All-American
Old 05-23-2017, 04:16 PM
Wallhanger

I'd be calling a lawyer,....