Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Resorts on Canadian side of Rainy Lake - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 01-27-2003, 04:57 PM
bassmanjc

Default RE: Resorts on Canadian side of Rainy Lake

Hey River_eye,
Nice of you to question my motives on this website. Actually I'm not affiliated with this camp at all. I experienced the trip of a lifetime there and I know that if other people go there they will have a blast. There are many camps in the area and none compare to that of campfire island. If you want to discuss any other issues you can email me at bassmanjc@hotmail.com, instead of discussing it on a webpage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2003, 06:10 AM
Gary_IA

Correction: the name of the waterfalls at the north end of the north arm of Rainy Lake is Devil's Cascade.
Old 01-28-2003, 10:23 AM
TIM

the phone # above on cascade is a fly in outfitter
whats the deal? they dont even fish rainy or have a camp on it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2003, 10:55 AM
Gary_IA

In my earlier post I used the phone number listed on the web site for Cascade Camps. Jo Becker may have retired-she was about that age. When I fished the camp 3 years ago, it was either a boat-in ($90 each way, up to 5 people) or fly-in. We boated in. The phone numbers and addresses listed on the brochure at that time were:

Winter Oct. 31-May 1)
Jo Becker
525 So. Sixth Street
Stillwater, MN 55082
(651)439-5430

Summer May 1- Oct. 31)
Cascade Camps Ltd
Box 657
Fort Frances, Ontario
Canada P9A 3M9
(807) 274-9030

Old 01-28-2003, 11:50 AM
Mike

Our group heads for Cascade Camp the end of May every year. Didn't look to me as if Jo was planning to retire anytime soon as she had some new camp boats last year.
Old 01-28-2003, 05:36 PM
Charter Member

How far, by water is Cascade Camp from Fort Frances? Where do you leave your vehicles/trailers?
Old 01-28-2003, 06:17 PM
Slot Fish

I've never fished Rainy. Is it mostly a walleye amd smallmouth fishery?? How are the muskies and northerns?
Old 01-28-2003, 06:20 PM
Mike

We put in at the Five Mile Dock and either leave our vehicles/trailers there or at a parking area Jo uses. I don't have a GPS, but I'm guessing it's about 20 miles to camp.
Old 01-28-2003, 06:27 PM
Minnow

Harvey please e-mail me so we can talk

Thanks,Dave
lala1@cableaz.com
Old 01-29-2003, 06:26 AM
Gary_IA

Regarding Rainy Lake and Cascade Camps:

I don't know about muskies. I don't think Rainy has Lake Trout but there are rumors to the contrary. There is a nice population of good sized crappies. We didn't target crappies while we were there but the group in the neighboring cabin caught some arround dusk in the wild rice near camp. The man who boated us in said the Walleyes were more predominant in the southern part of Rainy while the smallmouth were more predominant in the northern part. We caught a couple Walleye that were in the protected slot range and a few nice northern, a couple that were in the protected slot range-estimated 9 to 10 pounds, and a few about 4+ pounds.

Smallmouth Bass were our primary target when we were there. We fish for the most active species.

As in many Canadian Lakes there are many rocks to be aware of. Take it easy. I understand a few lower units were ripped off during the Bass Championship that year. Ou boat ride from the Government Docks to the resort and return was pleasant because the weather was nice and the boat operator knew the lake. I don't think I would enjoy a boat ride in high winds in a lake I was unfamiliar with.

The Information Centre in Fort Frances will give you directions to the government docks and to a good bait store. Three years ago Cascade Camp had minnows but did not have nightcrawlers orleeches.

As I recall we set a time in advance with the camp owner for the boat operator to pick us up. We called the camp again after we crossed into Fort Frances to finalize. You bring your own food and gear and beer to Cascade Camps.