Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Walleye Message Central - View Single Post - wired door bell trouble shooting ?
View Single Post
Old 04-19-2013, 10:36 AM
Charter Member

Rebs,
Do you have 15 volts at the door bell when you have someone else push the door bell button.

A door bell is a very basic appliance.

1. Have a source of 110volts AC
2. Have a transformer to drop the AC voltage to the AC voltage required by the bell.
3. Door bells are wired different ways. But many door bells use a pair of wires to run the voltage to the door bell. Then, a wire is run from each door to the door bell to activate the door bell.

If that is the case with your door bell, just go to the door bell and short across the two terminals that run to the door bell button and see if the door bell works. If the door bell works when you short the two bell button contacts, but does not work when you press the button, you either have a bad button; or a broken connection or wire between the button and bell.

3a. Other door bells are wired in series. i.e. they run two wires out of the transformer. One wire runs to the bell. One wire runs to the bell button. Then, a wire is run from the button to the bell. Now, when the button is pressed, the circuit is completed and the bell rings.

---------------------------

Take the cover off the door bell. Look at the connections and wires coming into the bell. If you have one pair of wire that is marked transformer or input voltage, use the meter to check for the presence of the same 15 volts that you had on the transformer. If you have the same voltage on the bell, your transformer is all right, and the wiring and connections from the transformer to the bell are all right.

Now, look for the contacts that run to the bell button. If you have a pair or pairs of contacts for one or more buttons, just use a jumper wire to short across any pair of buttons to see if the bell rings. If the bell rings, the bell is all right and the problem is in the button or button wiring.

But, if the bell does not ring, but has ac voltage and if you remove the button wiring from the bell and use the meter set on ohms scale, and then put one meter lead on each of the leads - you should find infinite ohms when the button is not touched. Then you should find close to 0 ohms, or a short, if the button is pressed.

If all of the above is true, buy a new door chime and replace it. Wire up the transformer and button wire/s and you should be good to go.

REW
--------------------------------
p.s.
A few years ago, we were in a home building big box store and came across a very high end door chime mounted on a display board. The board was not hanging up, but was simply sitting on a shelf. So, I asked the store person, if the chime was for sale. He said, "sure, this was a display, and is no longer being used." So, I said, "how much". He looked for about 15 minutes and said, "I finally found the original price for the chime, and it was selling for $280."

I said, all right, that is fine, but what you will sell me this display model for?

He said, "How about $5?"

Of course, I said ,"sure".

We took the set of chimes home and I took about 15 minutes to remove the old door bell chimes and mount the new set of chimes.

Lovely 7 tone chimes, that play a different tune for each door.

Never know what one runs across.

REW